The Best Way To Keep Rodents Out Of Your Chandler Home
October 15, 2021 - Rodents
Rodent infestations can be a nightmare for homeowners. Destruction of property and health and safety threats are pretty much assured with some of Arizona’s most common rodents. Unfortunately, a long dependence on humans leads some of our smartest and most dangerous rodent pests to keep coming back to homes and businesses. Luckily, there are ways to keep them out.
Two Of Chandler’s Most Common Rodents
Rodents can be incredibly intelligent and difficult to fight against when they’ve staked a claim on your home. However, preventing and eradicating their presence in homes and businesses starts with knowing what they’re like and what they’re capable of doing.
- Can grow up to 16 inches long from nose to tail
- Brown and black fur on their backs
- Gray, white, or black fur on their bellies
- Long and thin body shape
- Scaly tail
- Nest in roofs and the upper parts of buildings
- May cause damage to wood timbers, insulation, and electrical wiring
- Can break into and contaminate stored food
- Can pass on bubonic plague, rat-bite fever, salmonellosis, and typhus via fleas
- Are aggressive when threatened
The more timid relative of the rat, the house mouse, poses some similar dangers.
- Can grow up to 3 and ¾ inches long
- Dusty gray fur with a cream-colored belly
- Round body shapes with tails up to 4 inches in length
- They prefer to live indoors and take shelter in dark, secluded areas
- Make nests of paper, packing materials, insulation, fabrics, or other debris
- May cause damage to wood, insulation, and electrical wiring
- Can infiltrate cabinets and lay waste to stored food
- Can pass on salmonella, salmonellosis, rat-bite fever, and worsen allergies, especially in children
Other rodents like the common rock squirrel can pose similar threats as these two flea and disease-carrying cousins. The following prevention methods will be effective against all kinds of pests.
How To Prevent Rodent Infestations
The most tried and true methods often start with sanitization and maintenance. Try some of these tips if you want to keep rodents from finding your home an ideal nesting area:
- Check the exterior of the home for cracks and holes and fill with silicone-based caulk. Defects in the house only have to be dime to quarter-sized to let rodents in.
- Repair leaking or standing water.
- Remove hiding places and nesting areas from around the home or business, including piles of wood and rubbish bins.
- Keep garbage tightly covered and sanitize regularly.
- Clean up fallen fruit and nuts from trees in the yard.
- Store boxes off the floor and in sealed plastic, not cardboard.
- Keep stored food in sealed containers, preferably metal or glass.
- Sanitize regularly--keep those surfaces clean and uninviting.
- Keep tree limbs trimmed and away from the roof, and keep shrubs well-maintained.
One of the most effective means of keeping your home rodent-free is to have a professional perform regular checks. By the time you’re noticing scratched walls, frayed wires, contaminated food, and feces, it may be too late to start with prevention methods.
Pest Control In Chandler Is Best Left To Ozone Pest Control
Rodents of all kinds are not easy pests to get rid of, and many do-it-yourself methods are unsafe. Instead of risking your health and safety, leave it to the professionals at Ozone Pest Control. We have been protecting homes and businesses in San Tan Valley as a family-owned business since 1997.
We are proud of our 98% customer retention rate because we know we’re keeping our community safe. Call Ozone Pest Control today for pest control in Chandler. We offer both home pest control as well as commercial pest management services.