An infestation of pests in an office building is one thing, but rampant pest problems in a healthcare facility are a much more serious matter. Pests can cause a number of problems for healthcare facilities and the patients they serve. That’s why it’s imperative that you know the best way to protect your San Tan Valley healthcare facility from pests.
Common Pests That Infest Healthcare Facilities
The pests that most often infest healthcare facilities are essentially the same roster of common pests that plague most homes and businesses in the U.S. However, these pests pose particular dangers in a sanitary healthcare environment. They include:
- Rodents – Able to squeeze in through holes as small as a nickel, rodents may be found in shipping and loading areas as well as in food preparation and kitchen areas.
- Flies – All types of common flies from house flies to blowflies to fruit flies are dangerous for healthcare facilities. These pests can develop from eggs laid in produce and rotten food or can simply fly in the front door of your facility.
- Cockroaches – Notorious spreaders of disease, cockroaches can hitchhike their way into your facility in shipping boxes and packages. They often reside in bathroom areas and kitchens.
- Ants – Ants can contaminate food and spread pathogens, but pharaoh ants are especially dangerous for healthcare facilities because they are attracted to intravenous units and open wounds.
- Bed bugs – Like cockroaches, bed bugs can hitchhike their way into your facility in bags and boxes. Their bites can result in secondary infections for patients and cause further medical complications for compromised individuals.
Problems Pests Cause In Healthcare Facilities
The main problem these pests cause is widespread contamination and the proliferation of disease. Flies, cockroaches, and rodents are all known to carry a number of harmful pathogens that can be especially dangerous for patients already fighting serious illnesses. Salmonellosis, gastroenteritis, hantavirus, and dysentery are just some of the diseases caused by these pests, not to mention a host of parasites.
A developed cockroach infestation can cause allergies, asthma, and eczema. And besides spreading disease, rodents may also chew through crucial electrical wires and destroy important equipment and electrical infrastructure. Electrical wires destroyed by rodents have even been known to start fires.
How Professional Pest Control Can Help
It’s vital that you keep your healthcare operations as safe and sanitary as possible. That’s why you need commercial pest control from the experts at Ozone Pest Control to secure your San Tan Valley facility. When you use professional pest control services to treat and protect your business, the advantages speak for themselves.
First, before treatment even begins, we’ll work closely with you to determine the optimal plan for your facility. You’ll tell us which areas to treat and which to leave alone. We will perform a thorough inspection to identify signs of pest activity and the entryways they use to access your facility.
Our expert technicians will apply a spray treatment around the perimeter of your building along with granular bait to eliminate existing pests at the source of the infestation. Indoors, we’ll treat common areas where pests congregate, like beneath sinks and around baseboards, and set out traps in high-activity areas. Finally, we will perform follow-up treatments as specified in your service plan.
Pests are a problem your healthcare business can’t ignore. You can trust Ozone Pest Control to handle the problem safely and effectively. With over 20 years of experience and a 98% customer retention rate, our award-winning pest control services are sure to help keep your facility safe from the harmful pests that threaten your patients. Get in touch with us today.